Friday, September 5, 2014

BlackFish



If you know me you I have probably made you watch BlackFish with me. I find this a very eye opening documentary about orca's being held by SeaWorld and the controversy over keeping killer whales captive.



The last time I was at SeaWorld was about 6 years ago, and after watching this documentary I will never go back. It never crossed my mind that these beautiful creatures should not be in a tank for their whole lives. I think this film is very educational and makes you think. I have watched it at least 3 times and every time I watch it I learn something new.

I challenge to watch this film, its on Netflix and is an hour and twenty three minutes of thought provoking footage. I also would encourage you to also research what SeaWorld has to say about the film, make your own educated decision about the matter.



A lot of people say they have not watched the film because it is "sad". Yes this is true there are sad moments in the movie BUT I think BlackFish did a very good job of taking the audience very close to emotion and then brought it back to being informative.

I hear people say "Well if SeaWorld gets rid of killer whales then my kids will never see the shamu show"! So these orca's must live in a cage, in pain, and go crazy just so your kids can see it flip in the air? I find that statement absurd. These creatures are in the wild and you can take a boat to go whale watching for a faction of the cost of going to SeaWorld.

Take the 1 hour and 23 minutes and open your mind, think critically and question both sides of the issue.
Please leave a comment if you watch the film and let me know what you think either way :) 
Below is the trailer for BlackFish to get a better idea of the film












No comments:

Post a Comment